The independent study is designed to meet the needs of practicing professionals who desire an alternative to traditional instructional activities. Independent study guidelines are provided by RID to sponsors. With guidance from a sponsor, participants can undertake a self-designed educational experience for the enhancement of skills and knowledge in a specific area. Under the direction of a sponsor, individuals may design an independent study activity around many of their professional activities. However, independent study credit may not come from participants’ routine employment responsibilities.
Amanda Moyer, 215-900-3434 firstname.lastname@example.org
What qualifies for an independent study?
- Course instruction
- Publications – writing articles for VIEWS, the Journal of Interpretation, or other publications
- Study groups
- Multi-media instruction
- Mentorship – both being mentored and mentoring
- Literature review – RID offers many publications that work for this option
- Self-study curriculum
- Other options you may have in mind
Process to Complete an Independent Study
- Decide on the activity for which you wish to earn CEUs
- At least one month prior to you anticipated start date, contact the PARID CMP Coordinator who processes Independent Studies and discuss your ideas. The CMP Coordinator can help you work out a plan for what you would like to learn, the type of documentation required and the number of CEUs you can earn. You will be asked to respond in writing to a few questions to help map out what you will be doing.
- The CMP Coordinator will sign and approve the Independent Study Plan. You may now begin work on the activity (any work done before this point cannot earn CEUs). It is important to document your time and efforts while you work on your activity.
- At the completion of the activity, send the CMP Coordinator your report, documentation and other information outlined in the Independent Study Plan. The CMP Coordinator will review the documentation to ensure that it meets the standards and goals agreed upon in the Independent Study Plan.
- When satisfied that the project has been completed satisfactorily, the sponsor will fill out the Independent Study Activity Report and send all required paperwork to the national office to be added to your record.
Document for the Independent Study Plan
Independent Study Plan